Good morning all from the Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria, AZ. Today the Padres will return to their 'home' ballpark and face the Cleveland Indians in a Cactus League game. Only half the squad is here, the other is with manager Bud Black in Tucson, making up the game that was scheduled for last Sunday, facing the Rockies. Bench coach Rick Renteria will guide the team today here in P-town.
Here's today's starters...
CF - Cameron Maybin
RF - Will Venable
3B - Chase Headley
LF - Jesus Guzman
1B - Yonder Alonso
SS - Jason Bartlett
C - John Baker
2B - Everth Cabrera
SP - Cory Luebke
Luebke is slated to go 5 innings today as he tunes up for what will probably be the second game of the regular season if things stay on pace. Cory has had a nice spring and is developing nicely into the starter that the organization felt he'd be when they took him in the supplemental round in the 2007 draft. This will be his fourth start of the spring as he comes in with a 1-0 record and a 2.00 ERA. He's worked in 9 innings, giving up only 8 hits while striking out 10 batters. Also expected to pitch here in Peoria, Huston Street, Alex Hinshaw, Luke Gregerson, and Matt Palmer.
With Bud Black in Tucson, we won't have our regular meeting with the manager before the game, I'm wondering why we couldn't 'face-time' or 'skype'? But there are some things going on here we can tell you about...
- Orlando Hudson 'tweaked' that right groin injury yesterday at Glendale, running out what turned out to be a double play ball. Black said after the game he didn't think it was as bad as the initial injury and Hudson is not in the lineup today.
- Tim Stauffer looked impressive in his start against the Dodgers. Reading between the lines with no official announcement, it looks as though Stauffer could get his second consecutive opening day start. Again, just guessing, no inside knowledge, no intel, no word from the brass here, just a little speculation on my part. Ok?
- It's getting down to crunch time for those that, to borrow a March Madness term, "on the bubble" for this roster. The spots that several are battling for are still the utility infield position and a player to replace the injured Carlos Quentin. The names, Cabrera, Parrino, Guzman and Blanks pop up often in this conversation.
- By the way, speaking of Jesus Guzman, I asked him yesterday about his Twitter account @15JesusGuzman that claims to be the "official twitter account" is in fact NOT, Jesus Guzman. So don't be fooled by imitation, Guzman says that it's not him, or anybody affiliated with him, operating the account. So just be warned.
- I'm going to be joined by Bob Scanlan and Jerry Coleman in the booth today for our game in Peoria. You can catch us on ESPN Radio 1700 starting at 1pm.
That's it for now...