Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's Finally Opening Day!

As many of you have already heard me say, Opening Day in baseball should be a National Holiday.  I want to see government offices shut down, I want no mail delivered, no banks open, and certainly no school for kids.  How else are we going to grow this great AMERICAN game? Too many of today's youth (in my opinion) are gravitating to soccer, and that needs to change! 


Opening Day Memories...


It's really hard for me to nail down one specific memory on Opening Day...but I'll share a few...


My first childhood memories were of watching baseball on TV with my dad and grandpa.  That's when I learned (didn't know it at the time) about how this sport unites families, father and son, grandpa and grandchild, everybody.  Not an opener goes by without me thinking about my grandpa and how excited he always was for the beginning of the baseball season. 


I remember as a grade school kid, growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, teachers, rolling in TV's on media carts so we could all watch the Cubs home opener.  It was such a big day in the life of a kid that wanted to be a big league ballplayer.  


In 1993, I was living in Peoria, IL, and on Opening Day, I had jury duty.  Of all the things to have when your hometown team was getting set to face Greg Maddux and the Atlanta Braves in his first start after bolting the Cubs in free agency.  We managed to convince the jury bailiff to bring in a tv to the room and I was able to watch a little of it.  


The last opener I attended as a fan, was in 1998.  It was 31 degrees at first pitch.  Enough said. 


The first opener in San Diego was also very special.  The first time I was sitting in the booth with Ted and Jerry, realizing a life long dream of becoming a major league play by play announcer, was almost overwhelming.  


Ok, off my soap box now.  


Move:


The Padres made a roster move made today.  Last year's opening day starter Tim Stauffer was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow strain, retroactive to April 4.  Brad Brach, who was one of the final roster cuts, is back with the big league team from Tucson.  


Notes:


Edinson Volquez makes the start today.  It will be his second straight opening day start, and he's hoping this one goes a little better than his start for the Reds last season.  Corey Brock has a story on that game up on Padres.com (click to read). 


6 players are making their first opening day rosters for the Padres.  They are, Anthony Bass, Brad Brach, Yonder Alonso, Jesus Guzman and Andy Parrino.  Technically also, Logan Forsythe (on the DL) is also considered on the roster at opening day for the first time in his career. 


If you're coming out to the ballpark, get here early today.  The festivities will start at 3:30.  Featured today is Jerry Coleman, the Colonel, will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.  The Padres will celebrate his 70th year in baseball and his 40th year with the Padres.  Nice move!


Alright, more later when we chat with Bud Black. 


Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment