Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ramblings and a look behind the curtain...

It's been a fairly quiet few days in the world of sports...but a few things struck a chord...

At a gLANCE

It's really a commentary on the emphasis on winning and winning at all costs.  Lance Armstrong, a former 7 time Tour De France champion, denied and denied that he was a doper.  They anti-doping agency finally busts him after all these years.  Then Lance admits he cheated, but only in an interview with Oprah.  Seriously??   I'm sure he was paid handsomely for his appearance on Oprah's fledgeling OWN network.  Ok, so you admitted what everybody already knew.  So admirable.  NOT.   It took Pete Rose to write a book ($$$) to admit what we all knew already, he bet on baseball.  Do these guys think we are that stupid?  It's a quick to forgive society as it is already, so just cop to it, chances are pretty good that you'll be forgiven.  

Got me thinking too about Armstrong's scene in the movie "DodgeBall", here's the dialogue, courtesy of IMDB:

Lance Armstrong: Could I get a bottle of water. - - Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur? Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong! Lance Armstrong: Yeah, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours. Peter La Fleur: Really? Lance Armstrong: Yeah, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. But, good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo Gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late. Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance. Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying from that's keeping you from the finals? Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame. 
Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.   
 Interesting stuff, and boy how art sometimes imitates life. 

Hiring frenzy in NFL

Eagles: The big money and the lights of the NFL, coaxed Oregon's Chip Kelly into bolting Eugene, for Philadelphia.  Kelly was 46-7 with the Ducks.  He decided last week to head back to Oregon after interviewing with the Browns, Eagles and Bills, but has had a change of heart.  What this will mean for players at Oregon, who were recruited to fit Kelly's style, is unclear at this time.  How will his "style" work in the NFL?  Does this mean the team makes a commitment to Michael Vick?  Stay tuned!

Chargers: Former Broncos Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy as their new head coach.  He had to contrast his style in a big way this past season.  With Tim Tebow as his QB a couple of years ago, the offense had to have some interesting "wrinkles" so not to expose the limited ability of Tebow.  This year, the offense hummed, with the return to the NFL of Peyton Manning.  The Broncos however were upset by Baltimore last weekend.  From all I heard of the press conference yesterday, sounds like the Chargers got themselves a good fit and a good coach.  

Bears: Oy.  There were apparently not any qualified candidates in the entire United States for the Bears.  They reach (emphasis on reach) to the CFL and hire Marc Trestman who led the Montreal Alouette's to 2 Grey Cup Championships.  He is a former NFL Offensive Coordinator, and spent time with the Lions, 49'ers, Vikings, Browns, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Raiders and Dolphins.  He joins former Vikings head coach Bud Grant, and former Bills head coach Marv Levy among NFL head coaches that worked as front men in Canada.  It is about time that the Bears found an offensive minded coach, since that has been the week part of their game since 1995. 

Hockey is Back!

I know that I'm in the minority here in San Diego, but I'm excited that the NHL is finally back.  The truncated schedule begins Saturday with my Chicago Blackhawks skating into LA, to face the Kings.  Mission: ruin championship banner night!   Sorry Kings fans.

USD at home

The Toreros will host LMU tonight at the JCP, please join me for the call starting at 6:45 on The Mighty 1090.  The Toreros are off to a great conference start, winning their first 3 in the WCC and look to make it 4 in a row for the first time since 2009.   

A look behind the curtain

I've had several young broadcasters ask me to show the "game board" that I use for my college basketball play by play.  It's a board that I designed myself using Excel.  It's also a board that has changed drastically over the years.  I'm constantly taking things out, and putting things in, after each season, sometimes during a season. 

  
I have a couple of things highlighted: 
(A) is where I put team information, including the last game's result and during conference play what the season series is, and scores and notes. 
(B) coach information, including his record
(C) small notations indicating a players career highs in pts-reb-ast-(blocks)
(D) the blank space is where I keep a running total of the players points that night.  Hate relying on stat monitors
(E) players notes, including what they did in the last game
(F) the 16-12-8-4 indicates media time outs, I like to cross them off to remember how many breaks we've taken
(G) team's record at home, away and on neutral floors
(H) time outs, again I like to mark them myself, scoreboards are usually wrong.  Helps late in a game. 

That's what I got today....hope you enjoyed.  Have a great week.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment