Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Who Says You Can't Go Home Again?


I so appreciate everyone who has been asking about my future plans in broadcasting.  It warms my heart to know that so many of you, in my adopted hometown of San Diego, those in my actual hometown of Chicago and those of you from other parts of the world, have been so supportive during this time of my life.  It means so much.  I hope you know that.

Having said that, I'm ready to announce that I have accepted a part time position with WGN Radio in Chicago.  I have already relocated and am ready to get to work.  I worked at WGN from 1999-2007 and am thrilled to be able to go back and work with the amazingly talented people there. 

My role, for now, will include filling in on both, Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Cubs pre and post game coverage.  As many of you know, I'm a huge hockey fan, and have admired it from afar for a long time.  I'm excited to be able to lend a hand and to be a part of these broadcasts.  My first game is Thursday April 3 and the show is streamed live on www.wgnradio.com so check it out.  As far as the Cubs, it will be a return to my roots, having served as pre/post host with the team for nearly 9 years before coming to San Diego.   I will also be hosting a 30 minute show called "Cubs Weekly" before either Saturday or Sunday pre-game broadcasts.  I'm really excited about that.  For a Chicago kid, this could not have worked out any better for me.  I'm truly grateful for the opportunity to return to the Midwest to reunite with family and friends I haven't seen in a long time. 

In addition to the work in Chicago, I will be doing college baseball games for the West Coast Conference on TheW.TV, the web based network of the conference.  I'll actually be in San Diego for the Friday April 4, USD v. Gonzaga game at Fowler Park.  First pitch is 6pm PT. 

To all my San Diego friends, I will certainly miss you.  All of you have become a very important part of my life and are very special people.  You guys are the reason that this is a bittersweet situation for me.  If you ever get tired of 70 degrees and sunny everyday, come see me in Chicago where it may be in the mid 30's for Friday's opener at Wrigley Field!

I have truly enjoyed my experience in San Diego and would never rule out a return if circumstances permit.  I am also not ruling out a return to USD Basketball next season, it has been a wonderful experience and next year looks to be an exciting one! 

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, you Padres fans will always hold a special place in my heart and I'll always consider myself lucky for having been a part of things with the team. Your kindness towards me will never be forgotten, trust me on that. To the many Cubs and Blackhawks fans I know, get ready, I'm here, and looking forward to adding to the already spectacular coverage of these two storied franchises.  

Well that's it for now, everyone please keep in touch, via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, blog and my website.  I'll continue to encompass the entire social media realm as I always have!  

So long (it's never goodbye in my mind, or line of work) San Diego, it's been great!  Hello Chicago, I'm back home!

Andy

3 comments:

  1. I was coming home frpm shopping tonight and had the Hawks pregame on. I thought I was dteaming. Andy Masur back home on WGN. Welcome home !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great (and familiar) spot for you to land, Andy. In addition to your broadcasts, I'll also miss those beautiful San Diego photos you took -- but Chicago is also a gorgeous city in a different way, so I'm sure you'll enjoy photographing it as well. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel like we've followed you everywhere! Cubs fans who happen to also listen to Pads games (baseball starved in So Oregon). Happy to hear you're back at WGN!

    ReplyDelete