Wednesday, January 29, 2014

You Stay Classy San Diego, and I'm glad I stopped by....

I'm sure you’ve heard by now either via social media or somewhere else, that I am no longer with the San Diego Padres organization.  I was not offered a new contract after mine expired at the end of the 2013 season.  I was notified a couple of weeks ago, that there had been a "restructuring" of the broadcasting department and that I would not be a part of things moving forward.  It was very disappointing to hear this news, as I did not want to leave the Padres organization.  Today, I'm thinking back to all the good memories from my time with the team, to dwell on the "other" seems counterproductive. 

It's been an emotional time for me, what with the passing of dear friend Jerry Coleman and now with the thought of saying so long to so many great people, it's been rough.  I welcome a challenge, it's something I've always done, something my parents taught me.  I will be fine. Trust me. 

All of my focus now is on the next chapter of my career and life.  It's never easy to embark on the unknown.  I had the same uneasiness 7 years ago, as I left the safety and comfort of my hometown to head to San Diego.  My trepidations turned out to be a waste of time.  I landed in a great spot.  Americas Finest City.  I quickly realized what a great town it was.  I've been lucky to call it home for the past number of years.  San Diego will always hold a soft spot in my heart.  But unfortunately it is time to move on.  

I will certainly miss you, the fans.  I have gotten to know many of you.  Your outpouring of love and support today on Facebook and Twitter, have this broadcaster at a complete loss for words. That's not an easy accomplishment.  I've interacted with many of you over the years on social media, but today, please forgive me, but it would be impossible to respond to all of you, and I won't be able to do it. I hope you understand.  I know that a broadcaster, especially a baseball play-by-play man, is charged with making a connection to the fans.  I've taken this responsibility very seriously, and you never know how you're doing at that job, until unfortunately a day like today.  Your comments have touched me, and I'm truly grateful.  I thank you all for making this guy from the Midwest feel so welcomed in your town and with your team, I can't tell you how much your support has meant to me.  You have given me the ultimate compliment for a baseball broadcaster, reaffirming to me why I got into this business in the first place. To those friends in and out of the industry who have reached out via phone and email today, I will get back to you, I promise.

I’ve had the great pleasure to work with a group of talented people in the front office, in the broadcast booth, the press box and on the field.  A special thanks to Sandy Alderson and Jeff Overton, for taking a chance on me and hiring me back in 2007.  I always appreciated the way they just allowed me to do my job, with an occasional suggestion here and there, but what a pleasure it was to work with them.  I've had the distinct pleasure of working with one of the best manager's I've ever worked with, Buddy Black.  He and his staff have been an absolute pleasure to be around over the last 7 years.  Best of luck to you guys this season.  

I’d be remiss if I left out my second family in San Diego, the University of San Diego, it’s men’s basketball team and fans.  Bill Grier has been a big part of all of my off-seasons, and is a passionate basketball coach.  I have had so much fun getting to know him and the staff over the years, I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed the relationship with the school. The pleasure I’ve gotten out of watching some young men grow up as people and players is immense.  Keep up the good work guys.  Ky Snyder thank you for bringing me on board in 2007.  USD is also the place I met Ron Fowler for the first time, and let me tell you, he is a tremendous human being.  

To my media brethren, from the group at the Mighty 1090, Darren and Marty and too many others to name; to the guys on the beat for the UT, Bill Center, Chris Jenkins and Tom Krasovic, for MLB.com, my good friend Corey Brock, Bernie Wilson of the AP, Scott Miller a fellow free-agent (how stupid is CBS for getting rid of that guy?), thanks for making the press box a great place to be, and thanks for your support.  Tip of my cap to the two guys that covered the media when I got to town, Jay Posner and John Maffei, thanks for all the kind words you’ve written about me over the years.  I sincerely appreciate it.   

I’ve gotten to work with many fine broadcasters too, Matt Vasgersian, Mudcat Grant, my Chicago homie, Mark Neely, Mark Sweeney, Mike Pomeranz, Dick Enberg, Bob Scanlan and the talented TV crews I got a chance to work with.  Tony Gwynn, wow, what can I say, I really disliked you in 1984, and now in 2014 I can’t think of too many other people that treated me as well as you did.  We got our chance to work together in 2012 and what I time I had.  Tony, thanks so much for making me feel like I knew you my whole life the first time I met you.  You are a Hall of Fame human being in my book.  Lefty, Randy Jones, the first person in San Diego I heard from when I was first hired in 2007, thanks for all the laughs, and good times.  

In our radio booth, the times were extra special.  Dave Marcus, our producer/engineer, you’ve become a good friend over the years, sometimes my stubbornness got in the way, but you were a constant back there in the booth and thanks for all you did.  You all know how I felt about the Colonel, one of the most special people I’ve ever met.  From the first time I cracked the mike on a Padres broadcast he made me feel welcomed and instantly a part of things.  He didn’t have to do that, but he did.  Colonel, thank you for everything.  Ted Leitner is the man. You are a true friend and partner, through thick and thin, not sure who you’ll use for “tech support” when it comes to your iPad, iPhone, MacBook and other electronic devices!   I’ll never forget all the fun times you and I shared on the air during Padres baseball. I have been honored to share the microphone with you these many years and wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.  Our chapter is certainly not finished.  

I will be staying in San Diego to finish out the basketball season, I want to be there when the Toreros get hot and make some noise in the WCC Tournament.  From there, well, it’s anybody’s guess.   I plan to keep tweeting (probably with a new handle), and blogging, so I will still be right here at least electronically.  

Alright, that’s gonna do it.  It has been a great ride.  I feel fortunate that it lasted as long as it did, and that I got to experience life in Southern California. Thanks to all of you for listening over the years, its much appreciated.  It’s been my pleasure bringing Padres baseball to you the last 7 seasons.  You will hear from me again, I promise. 

So many faces in and out of my life,
Some will last, some will just be now and then.
Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes-
I'm afraid it's time for goodbye again.   - Billy Joel “Say Goodbye To Hollywood”


“In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein

12 comments:

  1. You handle everything with class. You handled last season with class, where many wouldn't have. Your talent, which is vast, was mostly wasted and now it can be applied. I wish that would have happened in San Diego, but I have no doubt that you'll land on your feet elsewhere, I think you were the finest radio voice that the Padres ever had. I told you that several times - in the writer's box, in the club house, and on the field before the games. I meant it.

    Unless something changes, my last day covering the Padres will be on opening day. You're one of the many reasons I enjoyed the gig. Thanks, Andy.

    David Dodd

    San Diego Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be missed, Andy. May you find an even better gig in your next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cubs hire Ron Coomer for their radio booth and you are released. I'm not sure which decision is worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a quality play by play broadcaster and a quality person. You are knowledgable, articulate, and your voice relates to the audience. I am sick that the Padre executives have decided not to renew your contract. What a painful loss for our city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No more Jerry and now no more Andy. You both will be sorely missed indeed. Loved listening to you on the radio. I always thought you were not on enough. You are a quality human being. I hope you can get back on the radio again soon calling baseball games for an organization that will have you on full time. You haven't lost any fans here in San Diego, and you will only expand to your fanbase with your future position.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this! You are a great presence in the broadcast booth. This decision makes no sense to me (a life-long Padres fan).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessing in disguise - hoping you find a well-run organization with a consistently better on-field product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Andy, thanks for everything. You were great and we'll miss you, it was great having you in San Diego. I think they made a big mistake letting you go, you're a damn fine play by play guy. Best of luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sad to see you leave the Toreros. You've always been a big part for the few of us who pay attention to USD basketball. Good luck Andy. I'm not surprised to see you go. You are destined for bigger and better things and I understand.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to you Andy, enjoyed your work with the Padres and with USD....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andy Masur, a real quality guy and broadcaster, who does it straight forward. It is absolutly lousy that San Diego let this guy go. Best of luck to you - cream always rises to the top and so will you.

    ReplyDelete