Friday, April 27, 2012

Sitting with the Ish....

Greetings from AT&T Park in San Francisco, as I get back to some blogging for the first time in a while.  Today I'm hanging the "Ish", Josh Ishoo, from the Padres media relations staff.  More on that a little later.  


As many of you know, I filled in for Dick Enberg on three Padres telecasts on Fox Sports San Diego, so time was a bit short for the blog.  I appreciate all the great feedback from all of you via twitter and my public Facebook page.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.  The experience was great.  Working with Mark Grant was fantastic, and I look forward to doing it again.  When?  Well on the next homestand, I'll have the weekend series against the Miami Marlins, so those that can (I know, I know) I'd ask that you tune in again, or for the first time!  


I've had some questions asked of me, about my schedule and what I do when I'm not on the radio or tv broadcast.  Well, I still come to the games, but instead of going to the broadcast booth, I sit in the main pressbox to watch the game.  I find myself seeing how everybody else does their jobs.  I watch Corey Brock of MLB.com prepare his stories for the web, I watch the XX 1090 guys get ready for post game and the PR guys, prepare game notes and post game notes for all of us.  It's interesting to watch and learn, but I'd obviously rather be broadcasting a game every night. 


Tonight, I'm sitting with the Ish, in the front row of the pressbox at AT&T Park.  That's our view as we are about an hour from first pitch. 


Ish, helps me set up my pre game interviews and is a hard working young guy.  I've been around a lot of media relations folks, and the Padres have a top notch staff.  Along those lines, I was sad to see Warren Miller, the former director of the department, leave his post, for a different one within the Padres Baseball Operations Department.  He's been a mentor for Ish, Bret Picciolo and Shana Wilson, and a great friend of mine.  Glad he's still with the team, but sad that he won't be traveling and interacting everyday.  Good move for him and for that I'm happy. 


Lineup tonight...


RF - Will Venable
LF - Jesus Guzman (batting 2nd for the first time this year)
3B - Chase Headley
 C - Nick Hundley
1B - Yonder Alonso
2B - Orlando Hudson
CF - Cameron Maybin
SS - Andy Parrino
SP - Cory Luebke


Luebke enters this start with a 2-1 record and a 2.52 ERA.  Pitched a gem the last time out, going a career high 8 innings, surrendering just 2 hits, 2 walks and striking out 5.  He earned the win as the Padres beat the Phillies and Roy Halladay 5-1.  


News/Notes:


Here's you're what seems like daily update on Carlos Quentin.  The Padres outfielder took batting practice again today, and will get some work in the outfield.  New today is that he'll run the bases during BP.  Manager Bud Black stated that Quentin is "rapidly approaching a rehab assignment".  


Tim Stauffer is still scheduled to pitch Sunday at Lake Elsinore.  


Alright, that's it for now...have a good night!


Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment